Thursday, June 9

I've been waiting for you summer!

By this point in my life I have learned that I am a terrible gardener. I might even fall in the category of having a "gray thumb." (Does that even exist?) But I always appreciate beautifully designed and composed gardens and home landscaping just the same.

Last year my husband and I tried our hand at flower gardening and landscaping. We went to our favorite local greenhouse, talked up the sales associates, and figured out some flowering bushes and flowers that seemed like they would work for us. We plunked down a lot (for us!) of money to do this. And by the end of the summer, we had maybe three (all the same kind) of flowering bushes that made it. Everything else was scorched by the sun and died a very sad and painful death. It was a disheartening experience to say the least.

As a last ditch effort, we went and bought one of those big bags of seeds of the wildflower and butterfly sort that you are only supposed to sprinkle and rake into a patch of dirt and then wait for them to grow so our toddler toddler would have a little something to pick from. Amazingly, our wildflower butterfly garden took off! And this year we added some more varied wildflower seeds to the mix and we have a flower picking garden that is - though not classically manicured and pretty - is at least a little ethereal in its own fashion and definitely pretty to look like. And within just the past few weeks, it's really REALLY taken off and burst into bloom so everyday - no matter how many flowers our little toddler lady picks - there are at least a dozen more in bloom the next morning.

This morning I took some time by myself to poke around the flowers and capture some of my favorite ones. I just love poppies and prefer the red ones but the pink ones seem a whole lot more abundant. Some of the other flowers just have such great colors and the visual texture in the images is terrific. And, of course, I always love the fat little bumblebees that buzz around...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...