Saturday, May 7

Sisters FOREVER :: Annapolis family photographer

Interesting fact: My degree is in Sociology and Anthropology and NOT photography.

Surprised?

Well, I definitely took a much longer route to get to where I am than what might be expected. However... I feel like my intensive studies in the Social Sciences coupled with extensive work experience working in clinical and behavioral psychology has made me a better visual artist - of ANY kind of media and not just photography as you see here - and also art teacher. (Didn't know I was an Art teacher? Yes. I am.) All of my  education and professional experience helps me to be a better observer and visual record keeper. I'm also much better at seeing who people truly are. A long time friend of mine (also a visual artist) once told me that I have the ability and know-how to give people the most appropriate gifts EVER because I inherently can sense what they really want or would most appreciate. *shrug* It all goes back to my inability to really focus in on what's around me more than on myself. And being a photographer? Specifically a portrait and wedding photographer? Well... it works out well since I can capture the most intimate and beloved moments shared between folks that they always wish they had a picture of to remember better.

I had the extreme honor to photograph Rebecca and Leah last weekend in downtown Annapolis. Rebecca is the eldest of the two. She is one year out of high school, finishing up her first year of college (nursing is what she is studying), and she is about three weeks out from leaving her home sweet home to tour the country with an amazing professional singing company called Re-Creation. This is her first big move into adulthood that will take her away from her family - and this includes her little sister, Leah. Leah is in the midst of her high school years and spends her time doing karate, hanging out with her church youth group, and working hard in a talented and gifted program specifically designed for those who have great mathematics and engineering abilities. If you hadn't already concluded that these two girls are AMAZING young people, well, perhaps that's because you were in awe of all of the incredible things that they both do and are.

This portrait session was a surprise gift from Rebecca to Leah intended to them in this stage of their young and spry sisterhood before their future plans set them on separate paths. And I'm not going to lie, before this session I was a little nervous. Despite all of the experience that I do have as a photographer and natural people watcher, could I really capture the essence of their beautiful sisterhood? Well... see for yourself. But, I think I nailed it pretty well.








Thank YOU (BOTH of you), Rebecca and Leah, for letting me experience that is the joy of family and the immense gift that is sisterhood. You two seriously make me look better than I ever could by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...